Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Snail Mail Resolve


With the invention of the cell phone, email, facebook, AIM, and other virtual communication devices, the old-fashioned snail mail method of communicating has gone by the wayside. I have just one friend in the entire world who still writes me hand written letters on a fairly regular basis and I LOVE finding her letters in the mailbox. When I was younger, I often wrote five letters a week on average, and developed an anticipation for that moment when the mail carrier came with that day's treasures (or trash, as the case may have been).

A hand-written letter says: "I have taken time out of my day to think of you. You are worth 43 cents. The 10 or 15 minutes I invested in this letter were by no means wasted. For this little chunk of my day, I have thought about another person longer than a minute." A hand-written letter is one of the most intentional acts of thoughtfulness a person can perform.

With that said, I have unfortunately succumbed to the far easier and more convenient (albeit less personal) ways of communicating with others and regret that I have abandoned the letter-writing of my youth. So it is with much resolve that I am going to attempt to write more letters...starting today. And hopefully it's realistic to aim for writing one letter a week because who doesn't like finding a "real" letter in the stack of credit card offers, bills, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons? I know I do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have always had a "love affair" with paper and pen! I'm glad you won't give up sharing it with others! Write on!!!

Your Momma