Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sinning in my Sleep


For those of you who know me, you know that I have a very active dream life. I dream in color, detail, and theme; it's like watching a movie in my sleep every night, and I've found that I have more bizarre dreams if I read before I go to bed, which I usually do. I've dreamed about being a robot, about spiders, about spying, and, most recently, about my high school reunion. I woke up this morning dreaming that my high school reunion was held in a large gym with an industrial kitchen attached--nice. Apparently, in addition to having a reunion, we were making it extra special by bringing our own food and sleeping in cabins nearby...for an entire weekend. We had organized games in the gym and cereal at midnight--a true reversion back to the good 'ole days. When the weekend was over, however, everyone left fairly quickly with legitimate but probably not entirely true excuses like, "I have to catch my plane" (even though it doesn't leave for 8 more hours) or "I need to pick up my kids" (even though my mom said she'd keep them until late tonight) or "I have some work to do before tomorrow morning rolls around" (whatever that may be). Convenient. So, I was left by myself to clean all the dishes we had used all weekend long, and here was the thought I had in my dream: "I hope someone sees me doing this so I can be thanked for all this work." And there it is. My depravity at its worst, finding me even in my sleep. God has such a funny way of reminding us of our sin, doesn't He? So, if anyone has an extra measure of humility and servant hood out there, I need a heavy dose.

No comments: