Monday, January 7, 2008

The Wiification of Little Me


Today I felt technology-old. I played wii for the first time today, and was certainly entertaining to the 15-year-olds with whom I was playing. Beyond figuring out that you only need to point the remote at the TV instead of finding select and hitting arrows, I was baffled by the word wii. How is it used as a verb? Do you say, "I'm going to wii" or "I'm wii-ing" or "I'm playing wii"? I was quickly informed that it was the latter, although I'm partial to "wii-ing" myself. Is there any other word with three consecutive i's? And can the word wii ever be used as an adjective as in, "That game system is "wii-esque" or "wii-worthy"? Can a gaming systerm go through a "wiification" process? Deep thoughts.

I'm thankful to be teaching teenagers for a lot of reasons, but one of them is the exposure they give me to the latest technology, cars, clothing, and movies. Today I had a taste of what my grandmother must have felt like the first time she tried to use Email. After a rousing 2 rounds of wii boxing and bowling, I realized that I'll need a lot more practice to actually beat my young competition and a lot of stretching so that I don't wake up with sore muscles the next day. While I was the comic relief today, I'll definitely be honing my wii skills in the near future, so teenagers everywhere: beware. Me like wii.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMGGG... THATS US! lol
yea... BEWARE OF HER!