Friday, January 4, 2008

Weighty Thoughts


If you couldn't guess by my massive amounts of muscle and "bulk," I really enjoy lifting weights. I'm not kidding. It's theraputic for me. I turn on my ipod and go at it, blocking out all other gym-goers and letting my mind go wherever it wants. Of course, at some point, my mind goes to "This really hurts" or "How many more reps of these do I have to do?" but for the most part, it's a great way for me to release stress and feel stronger even if I don't look it.

So, for Christmas, my sister-in-law, a personal trainer, gave me Cindy Whitmarsh's book, 101 Ways to Work Out With Weights, and it was probably one of my favorite gifts. Let's just say I tried several of her "moves" and was feeling it in every muscle the next day...and the next...and the next. Apparently I had missed some areas in my previous work outs. The book took no time to read since it was mostly pictures and by the end of it, I wanted to go make a protein shake and bike 20 miles. Of course, I did neither, but I did think about asking for a bike for my birthday...

In addition to the 101 ways to lift weights, she also includes a few recipes in the back, which are delicious. Since I love to cook, I did actually try most of the recipes this week and I recommend them all. I also found myself buying sweet potatoes--the one food that made me gag as a kid at Thanksgiving--because they're fantastic for you...and my adult taste buds liked them pretty well. Not sure they'll be a staple in our diet, but definitely thrown in the mix.

So, next time you see me, it could be on American Gladiators...or at your local Starbucks reading a book.

No comments: