Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christian Fiction and Book Snobery

I am unashamedly a book snob. As such, I am also unashamedly disinterested in any sort of Christian fiction (sorry, Mom). We've all seen them on the shelves: Karen Kingsbury, Janette Oke, and, of course, the mother of all Christian fiction, Francine Rivers.

Years ago, I promised my best friend, Alisa, that I would read Francine Rivers' Redeeming Love before I died, so since I knew I'd have some extra time at Christmas, I borrowed the book from her and readied myself for some mediocre, predictable writing. Let's just say I was skeptical at best. For those who haven't read the book, it's a story that closely follows the account of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible. It's about a man, Michael Hosea, who takes a woman out of a brothel, marries her, and then loves her with a persistent, everlasting love.

For all my cynicism and doubt, the book (for a Christian fiction novel) was surprisingly good. While I still felt like the writing was mediocre and some details were cheesy, the characters were very well developed and the details of the setting and time period were well researched and authentic. What struck me most, however, was the obvious allegory of the book. So often in reading I was frustrated with the harlot who chose to be distant, unfeeling, hard, and ungrateful for the deep, sincere, persistent love that Michael showed her. I wanted to take her and shake her and say, "How can you not love a man who loves you so well? a man who rescued you from sure agony, pain, and even death? a man who serves you and delights in you and offers you to share in that freedom?" And then comes the realization that I am that harlot, that I am often aloof, detached, and calloused toward Jesus, the Lover of my soul. It was this convicting realization that made the book redeeming for me; because of it, I understand the love of Jesus better.

While I have no desire to read another Christian fiction novel, this one was worthwhile. I especially liked Rivers' personal reflection on why she wrote the novel, which is included in the back of the book. For all you book snobs out there, you may want to lower yourself just once to read Redeeming Love...unless you're a guy, in which case, you just won't like it.

No comments: