Thursday, July 9, 2015

Three Things Thursday: writing edition

Thing One: I'm reading
I'm in that writing space where I'm accumulating words and cadence, ideas and craft. The words--my own words--aren't there yet, so I'm letting others' words inspire me instead. It's a necessary part of being a writer. On my bedside table now (in no particular order and none of them nearly finished):

  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (fiction)
  • Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott (a book on life and writing)
  • Women of the Word by Jen Wilken (Christian nonfiction)
  • The Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (fiction)
  • My grandfather's WWII letters to my grandmother. I'm slowly transcribing hundreds of his letters so they can be preserved. So far, I'm on page 124 of a Word document and have another 9 months of the war to go. More on that another time!

Thing Two: I'm writing
It may not look like it by how often I blog, but I'm writing all the time...in my head, on scraps of paper, making lists on my phone, writing pieces so private or rough that you may never read them here. It's good. And it's hard. And most days I'm intimidated and don't even know where to start. But I'm writing.

Thing Three: I'm dreaming
I'm wondering what God is and is going to do with this writing of mine. Publication or writing a book isn't even something I want to do right now or maybe ever, but I want to get better at it, use it to help people, and not be afraid to walk through open doors as they come.

No comments: