Sunday, February 12, 2012

Waterproof Mascara

Thursday was my first day back at work after a fabulous 12-week maternity leave. 
And it was hard. 
Really hard. 
Even though my best friend was staying with Moo at our house, 
and even though I was going back into teaching at a perfect time as far as the curriculum goes, 
and even though I knew this day was coming,
I still cried most of the way to work.
Good thing I wore my waterproof mascara.
But then I got there
and things got so busy that I didn't have time to think about it too much
and teaching felt like riding a bike--so natural.
And my students were excited to see me.
And I was asked things like, "Mrs. Johnson, do you like your kid?"
and that made me laugh.
And then I came home and got to love my child for lots of hours and that made me smile.
And then I did it all over again the next day.
And the next day was hard.
But not first day hard.
And I'm still fighting guilt and uncertainty and change
but God is meeting me there
and sustaining me
and I'm grateful.

3 comments:

Eating Cheetos said...

I'm sure that first day was hard! But I think sometimes it's nice to have the opportunity to "miss" our kids. :)

Had a nice, hearty laugh with the whole "Do you like your kid?" question. HAHA!

Molly Page said...

Proud of you for making it through!

Jen said...

Praying for you friend.