Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool's Day past and present


I wrote detention slips for my entire 3rd period today, citing them for such appalling behaviors as "inappropriate language," "disruptive behavior in class," "excessive talking," and "skipping class." The best part was having them say, "Thanks for the d-hall slip, Mrs. Johnson!" The act was so convincing that I even had a call this afternoon from a hoodwinked mom, and had to tell her how wonderful her son was and to have a happy April Fool's Day.

My family doesn't typically prank each other, but growing up, we always knew to expect something on April Fool's Day. My mom consistently put a square of wax paper in our turkey sandwiches (and we consistently forgot about it until we took the first bite), and my brother once dyed the milk green. I'm sure we had our fair share of saran wrapped toilet seats too. But it's been a while since I fooled anyone on April Fool's Day, and I realized that life's a lot more fun when you mess with people once in a while.

No comments: