Monday, June 15, 2015

Update

I'm pretty sure someone just dumped me in a blender and hit the "super grind" button because I'm spinning. Four mornings of VBS + one week at the beach with two kids under four + planning women's Bible studies for the fall and beyond = wiped. I apologize now for whatever crappy writing ensues. It'll get better with sleep and a little alone time, I promise!

VBS
Despite some stressful moments (my room wasn't set up at all when I went in on Sunday to drop off a few materials, and I had 50 2-3-year-olds in one class on the first day), VBS, once again, was worth the work.

I can't tell you how many adults stopped me to thank me for my lessons, how many parents sent me texts and emails with quotes from their kids that told me they really got the big story of Jesus, and how many kids were with me, learning scripture, eager to see God redeem sin, excited about Heaven. This isn't horn-tooting; it's God showing up through a willing but introverted, sometimes-bad attitude, stressed out, non-preschool teacher.

And I can tell you another thing: teaching the Bible to any age matters and should be taken seriously. I know I'm an overachiever, but preparing to teach these kids was no different from times I've prepared to teach peers. Either way, I'm entrusted with handling God's Word rightly. So yeah, they're "just" 2-5 year olds, and they're at the bottom of the totem pole as far as expected "impact," but the way I see it, this could be the first time many of them ever hear about the big picture of Creation, Fall, Redemption, and Restoration--and setting that foundation well could have an extraordinary impact. So, no matter the age, if you're teaching God's word, pray for those learning and for wisdom for yourself--a lot, prepare for hours and hours and hours to find the best, most clear way to communicate gospel truths, and study the Word to make sure you're being accurate. And even if I'd never received an email or phone call from a parent, God taught me so much about Him as I studied and prepared to teach these little ones that it would have been worth it either way.

ANNUAL FAMILY BEACH TRIP
Our time away was fabulous! We have the privilege of loving our extended family, and enjoyed beautiful weather, good food, and lots of laughter. The only drawback is that no one ever sleeps quite enough on those trips since you're in the room with your kids and stay up later than usual to play whiffle ball with the cousins. Our Internet was (blissfully) spotty, and while I didn't even make it through a whole magazine while there, it felt like a true break from normal life and a time of connection with people I don't see enough. I even paddle boarded for the first time--what a workout! Loved it. Funny aside: Moo called the ocean "spicy water" because I told him it was salty. :) All those nights of helping me cook dinner (sort of) paid off!

I came back to some intense realities: a friend had a late miscarriage; the 2.5-year-old son of an acquaintance is dying after heart surgery; no one could attend a meeting I'd worked hard to prepare and plan, and even more lightly: I found a half cup of coffee in the microwave that'd been left there for a week, and three pictures and a plastic cup in my washing machine put there by a certain little 2-foot someone before we left. Definitely back to reality, but it's good, and having some time away gives me more perspective and energy than I would have had otherwise.

No comments: