Friday, July 4, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Exhale

photo credit
So I don't really know if this is going to be a thing. I'm not that great at sticking to resolutions and new kicks and all that, but I came across this writing flash mob that sounds fun and interesting and challenging and I want to try it.

Here's the idea: write for 5 minutes, unedited, on the prompt found at Lisa-Jo Baker's Surprised by Motherhood blog. Post to your blog, link on her blog, and get feedback from a fellow contributor.


So, here's my first (only?) FMF (what all the cool regulars call it):

Prompt: EXHALE


Breathe out.

You know those days with the little people when you’ve done puzzles and played outside and done fireworks at 7:30 a.m. and gone on a walk and cooked and played cars and looked at far away places on maps and read books and played cars again and pulled out all the stickers and gone to the park and changed clothes twice because someone peed out their diaper (again) and somehow it’s still not even dinnertime? That was today.

Breathe out.

Those days when your brain is 20 steps ahead and you’re fighting to be present present present. When you know you need to

stop
rest
breathe


But you don’t. You frenzy, move, stress out, get impatient, rub your hands down your face and have to walk to the other room to count to ten because MY GOODNESS did he just do that again?

Breathe out, girl.

Exhale.

Push away from all that.

Breathe.

Be still.

Be.

Be.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this! Such a great description of my life too - the unrelenting chaos that is parenting.

Welcome to FMF! This is one of the best ones I've ever read, so I hope you stay!

Julie said...

I enjoyed and related to your post. Thanks for the "fellowship of suffering" moment. As a mom of six under 11, I am often totally fried. Thanks for sharing. God bless you! Keep on keeping on! (and keep writing. You have a concise, artistic way of putting your thoughts out. It had a rhythm, almost like a drumbeat, emphasizing and enhancing. I heard your poetry and I liked it!

Eating Cheetos said...

You're so wonderful. And your writing is always brilliant.

{encore! encore!}

elizabeth said...

Fantastic writing on this post and the last one about marriage. I love it. I have only a few blogs that I read these days and yours is one of them. Your writing is beautiful and true. It encourages me because I often feel the same way as you do....just can't put it into such poetic words.