Tuesday, November 16, 2010

This is how we do it

Phil and I went camping last Wednesday night.
I love everything about camping but the sleeping part.
I'll pee in the woods.
I'll build a fire.
I'll chop wood.
I'll cook in a fire.
I'll forego a shower if I must.
But my sleep is precious.
And when I camp, my sleep is either cold or uncomfortable.

Enter my heroic husband, who said his goal for me was to be warm and comfortable all night.
I had my doubts. 

BUT

the following made my camping experience...not bad:
5 layers (tank top, short sleeved shirt, thermal long sleeved shirt, fleece, & jacket)
Smartwool socks
Numerous hand a toe warmers--including several that we threw into our sleeping bags
A zero-degree sleeping bag
A fire that I (proudly) made
An air mattress (thank you very much)
No wind
A very attentive husband

I must say, there's something about unplugging and getting away from the zing of life, something about turning off the phones and not even reading a book, something about slowing down and staring into a fire and talking for hours about things that matter (or not). This yawn of life every once in a while is irreplaceable in our marriage. And that is why I agree to camp--even if I do sacrifice some sleep.

2 comments:

Eating Cheetos said...

I am going to camp vicariously through you. Is that okay? Because I've never been, and I have no desire whatsoever. I do love "disconnecting" and enjoying God's beautiful creation -- but when it comes to sleep and bathroom basics, I am thankful for the "shelter" God has provided at the end of the day. :) Your post, however, gives Daniel hope that he will successfully convince me to sleep under the stars one day...

Glad you and Phil were able to enjoy some great quality time together. :)

Molly Page said...

This makes me want to go camping... I'm afraid though that actually camping might make me not want to go camping.
However, your warmth tips may just make it work!!!