Friday, July 10, 2009

Sign me up...for laughter!


There are some things that I just don't need to experience in my lifetime. Bungee jumping? Not for me. Plastic surgery? I think not. Cannibalism? I'll pass. Eating noodles through my nose? Not if I can help it. Wife carrying contests? Now that's one I hadn't thought of before.

These contests, started in Finland as a joke, have caught on over the years in several Scandinavian countries and even all the way across the pond to Maine, which holds a contest annually. The competition is fairly self-explanatory, but just to clarify any obscurities that might be out there... Male athletes must carry a female in a 253-meter foot race that includes both land and water obstacles. The man who completes the course in the fastest time wins his wife's weight in beer--nice. Actually, in America, you win money, which is even better (according to some). There are also prizes for "most entertaining couple" and "best costume" for those with outstanding personality and creativity but not so outstanding time. There are no fewer than 12 rules to this competition, including the fact the the woman you are carrying may be your wife, another man's wife, or any woman over the age of 17. All I have to say is, if Phil was competing, there would be no one but me in that position on his shoulders!

Just think: for a mere $100 and a plane ticket to Maine, Phil and I could join about 40 other American couples in this contest. Not sure we could beat the world-record under-a-minute time, but we could go for the "most entertaining couple" at least.

There's one person who does think he needs to experience everything before he dies: Dennis Rodman. That's right, America's own controversial athlete participated in the 2005 Finland competition; is there anything that man hasn't done?

If you aren't laughing already, check out this youtube video. Huh-larious.

No comments: